I’ve had this dream to sing and perform on stage since I was a little girl. As I grew up, it became more difficult to perform and feel confident with my performances. I would think about screwing up on stage while performing until I did. I would get the shakes, cold sweats and complete fright.
I’ve been performing live shows now for 5 years and finally after 5 years of performances I do not feel as scared and afraid. I’ve really had to push myself out of having stage fright because performing and music is my passion and I choose not to let something like that get in the way of my dream.
So how do you get over stage fright? Here are some tricks I’ve done.
1. Think of the stage as your home. Make your self feel at home. What would make you feel good? What does it take for you to own the stage?
2. Try performing in a group to start and than on your own. You can feed off other band members (who are more confident).
3. Look at what you are afraid of. Is it people judging you? Is it you judging you? Once you have figured it out, you need to let it go. Also congratulate your self for even being up on stage. I don’t care what stage you are in the music game, I absolutely respect everyone who is on stage because it takes courage to do it.
4. If people are being critical of you, you need to be neutral, curious and look at where they are coming from. Are they coming from a loving place? Is this someone you truly value and love or is this someone being mean to you? I get critics online from this blog, they waste their time commenting here instead of focusing on something more fulfilling. These people have yet to come from a loving place, so I don’t take it personally at all. I feel sad for them because they are wasting their time and energy. Why not focus on being the best you can be and leave others alone?
5. Visualize before the show as if you are there right now. Imagine the pot lights in your eyes blinding you from the audience, the rough black stage floors with black tape all over it, the microphone. Now feel the confidence you want to feel and all the people you don’t know waiting to hear you sing. Think of how you will say “Hi” with love and confidence. When you really are on stage think of that again.
Love & Good Melodies